Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I've been doing a bit of plotting and planning lately, because, well, 'tis the season. Something about that second or third serious chill of the year saps me of denial, and off I go. Time to round up what the year has given, and stack it up or plow it under, as best serves the future need. Chores best be gettin' done.

This year has had an odd generosity to it - there's no lack of new things that need sheltered and stored. Can't say I've loved them all, but they're mine for good and for ill. Last year this time, I was reflecting how trying to make big changes had led to more of the same, but better. This year I feel like I've tried to stay steady, on behalf of myself and everyone else, and have had instead no end of things change out from under me.

Not the most encouraging scorecard to face while you're plotting, but you have to work with what's there. No matter where you go, there you are, and that's where you have to start.

(Not that you can't aspire to skip steps. For example, I've wondered whether I could fix up my diet somehow, since I can't eat American anymore anyway. I've considered the virtues of vegetarianism, or how I might be among the vegan. I've decided the plan I'll pursue is to simply go past all that, and set my sights on direct photosynthesis. My goodness, how superior that will be...)

Anyway, I learned some time ago that if nothing else, you can always be thankful for the lesson in anything that happens. Even should things get awful, appreciating the knowledge taken away frees you to find more within the experience worth treasuring.

Near term, I think that's the path that I'll take to Thanksgiving this year - that seems to me the best plan.

For all the reasons I could recount, and all those little gifts I hope someday to pay back - in case I haven't mentioned it - thanks.

No comments: