Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I was almost out the door when I saw her spine straighten.

She had been at the table next to mine for some time. I had noticed her come in, and the way that she had hugged that earnest man she'd come to visit. I had dropped my eyes politely as she moved to sit in the chair closest to me and facing away, and I had then forgotten her existence entirely. As I bustled to gather my debris so that my work might be moved elsewhere, her sudden change of posture brought her back to my sphere of concern.

Slowly, her head turned as if to look out the window to her left, and kept turning. Her back stayed ramrod straight as it did, until it seemed she was using her own body as a shield.

Her eye almost caught mine, around the frame of her glasses, shortly before she would have had to apply for owlhood. It was just a brief confirming glance, but the set of her mouth in profile betrayed some disapproval of me before she wordlessly faced front again.

Not knowing what that was all about, I arranged my coat around me and reached to pick up my just-packed laptop bag. As I lifted it, I had a sudden realization.

I had packed the damned bag on the chair sitting inches behind her, and had been quite vigorous in whipping its zipper closed once it contained all that it should.

I guess that whole sequence might have sounded like something else to a lady who'd come out to talk with a man worth hugging. Sorry about any confusion, ma'am.

Note to self: replace laptop bag at soonest convenience.

No comments: