Friday, September 25, 2009

I get it where I can at times like this, and try not to think of the standards that I'm bending. If it's twice in a day on opposite sides of town, so be it - I have a lot going on, and they're right there. I need the wireless, and I want some kind of coffee with it, so I simply disregard the part where they're publicly traded and do what needs done.

I am occasionally shocked into realizing what I'm doing, however. Having made the mistake of half-reading my receipt in the morning and pocketing it, I remembered what it said halfway through ordering in the afternoon, across town.

"I'll have a large iced coffee. Oh, and I have a receipt here somewhere with some kind of discount..." Fumbling in pockets ensues; the youngster behind the counter takes pity.

"That's all right, I can give you the discount. But I'll have to give you a grande iced coffee instead."

I blinked across the counter, locked up completely.

It was all I could do to not say "¿Que?"

No comments: