Here's how I discovered this.
My bride returned home today with a purchase she'd made at a "candle party," which I put in quotes because I'd never heard of such a thing before. Apparently, they do really sell candles and candle-related thingies at these parties, because she directed my attention to the candle holders she had purchased as I breezed through the room. I stopped to examine them; she breezed out of the room.

She has this charmingly ridiculous tendency to think that leaving the room doesn't stop the conversation as long as she can hear what she's saying, so I sort of lost the thread while she was bustling around. When she passed back by the door a minute or two later, I heard her approaching conclusion:
"... and I figured I'd get those, since the way they're linked makes me think of unity, and I really liked that..."
My shoulders slumped. I had been twisting and turning the damn things, trying to figure out what sort of magician's-rings maneuver I needed to make to disentangle them, since that was so obviously wrong... I was glad I hadn't actually asked what the trick was yet.
I think we'll keep them, just the way they are, but I'll be mentally busting them apart for the next however many years.
I'm still convinced it's easily fixable... but then, I'm a boy, and that's how I'd see that.

No comments:
Post a Comment