Monday, December 21, 2009

My kitchen fridge has magnets, to it firmly affixed - enough of them to constrict capillaries in anyone unwarily walking past. It doubtless comes as no surprise that a memo pad is among the things attached.

Small pad of paper, taller than wide, with rulings to organize the details of errands that must be run. Enough of a magnet glued on its back to keep it it in place during jotting. It's a fixture, designed to manage all those vital and surprising things required to keep us going.

A glance at it today shows the current local level of organization. The one line written, for us to address:

grocery shopping list!

That's it; that's all we got. The times are such that all of us here can barely plan to make plans.

It's been a thin year, and we're at the time when the light and the warmth of it are scarcest. Frankly, I'd as soon just nap, til spring.

But I'm finding, as I write this, there's a spring in me unblocking, some circulation ticking up a bit. Putting words together, thinking of those who might read, resolving to do something as best it might be done: this helps me. Not least because it gives me something in the end, however minor, to share with my bright people in times that we all feel, I think, could well be brighter.

I come here to share my bemusement at the tiny follies of life, and to share accounts of shiny things I find along my path. I came here today to jape a bit, at the foolishness of making a list of lists that need made. That impulse clearly belongs to the meaner first part of that sentence.

As I've gone through the exercise of writing it, however, my thoughts have shifted forward through the words. I find myself wanting nothing more than to celebrate those who have been involved in this place, in these words, and in all of the routine attempts that I see to find and enjoy things that might be brighter and better.

You people do that to me each time I think of how to write to you, and this season is perhaps the time I love that best. It takes my breath away to think of all the charmed coincidences that have gone into my being here to speak to you, and into your being around to hear. I cannot write a line without seeing your face again in my mind, and finding myself heartened thereby.

So go do that for everybody, everyone. Go forth into these days of the solstice that's cold, and warm them for all around you. Come forward with me, beyond the place full of lists of lists, and know that your deeds and your laughter trump turkey and mistletoe every time, when it comes to making the season bright.

Enjoy the holiday, you magnificent scamps, and God rest ye merry too.

No comments: