Sunday, July 12, 2009

The penises on her veil marked her for me, third from the left in the line of nice asses seated along the bar. I was leaning against a door frame at the back of the place, with shenanigans I was disinclined to disturb blocking my path to the door. I'd been behind her at the ID check as we walked in, had noted her then, and I found my thoughts returning to her as I stood waiting, letting the bourbon burn through me.

Her wingwoman was managing the banter for her by the time my way was clear, and had them both standing talking to a couple of likely lads, just the sort that the bride-to-be winds up drinking with. I didn't really realize I was doing it until it was done, but I stepped sideways as I passed, turned her toward me a touch by bumping my shoulder into the front of hers. I leaned down to her, my lips in her hair, near to her ear, near to that veil, and then I spoke.

"Forever is a long time, darling. Do the best that you can."

She leaned into me an extra moment to discover whether that was the whole message, and only then drew back to take me in. She scanned the suit jacket, and the tie I had been advised to loosen two bars back; down then in the direction of my freshly-shined shoes, though making it only halfway there.

Her eyes were shining regardless as she looked back up, and I could tell she had been saving that smile as ammunition for that night. "Thank youuu," she cooed, as if I'd just dispensed on her a benediction that would charm the rest of her natural life. Only then did I realize what the spirits had moved me to say.

I had those spirits move me briskly toward the door the instant she turned to bring in the wingwoman, taking long strides with the bourbon suddenly twisting in my stomach. The ladies may have said something further to me, but I knew that I shouldn't be looking back.

I know I always say this, but I swear I didn't do that to her on purpose. I'll probably wonder for a while how awfully I jinxed her.

No comments: