Wednesday, June 10, 2009

She stepped out front to where I was smoking, and my world was suddenly nothing but her brown eyes. She smiled and stepped past me, then rolled those eyes and stepped back.

"It's okay Mommy, I want to be outside with Fwank."

Thus having answered the question she had heard, she toddled her four-year old way back out toward me. She was pleased as punch to be having it her way, and proud to have discovered the perfect excuse to get permission to leave the room. I couldn't strand her there, even with my cigarette almost done, my work awaiting me inside, and the bustle of closing the shop nearing its end. We would all go our separate ways soon enough, and my policy is to make time for ladies of whatever age who are willing to consider me an excuse.

I greeted her with gravity, and inquired how she was doing. She stood and turned those eyes on me, and I began to smile, anticipating the charm of her next remark.

She surprised me by standing wordless, considering what I had asked... and then shocked me by reaching under her dress, deliberately and vigorously probing, in lieu of an answer.

I shooed her back inside on the instant, having enough problems already. The poor dear probably had to go potty, and I had a parent's sympathy for that - still, her place was obviously not with me.

Once she departed, I ground out my cigarette, and moved to go inside and gather my things. I scowled at the bricks of the place sternly before I entered, to be as certain as I could that it knew I disapproved.

I know the spirit of that place to be naughty, but I had always thought it had better taste in how to show it. I suppose, these days, it must work with what it can get.

No comments: