So I get on the elevator, like I always do, and wonder what's gone wrong.
The office building is historic, and the elevator was retrofitted into it half a century ago. It's charming, but fitful; people get trapped in it. Everyone who gets in and looks around wants to check out the emergency phone just in case.
This time, I get in to head up to my sanctum, press the button, press my ass to the back wall, and wait. The doors take forever to close, as I sit there pinned under the gaze of the poor bored receptionist in the glass office just inside the main doors.
Finally, the door rattles closed, and I note that I'm not moving. I reach for that phone.
And notice that one button on the panel glows, lit from my press, and it is the button beside the numeral "1".
I blink my eyes, shake my head, press the button for the floor I actually want. All begins to proceed as normal.
If that's the kind of mistake I'm making... should I be trying to do anything important today?
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment