There's a common thread in my conversations these days...
I'm in new places doing new things, and my path crosses others somewhat differently at these times. I've been doing what I do for so long, in this town where I do it, that some of the new people are in fact reunions, and some of the new places are in fact familiar crossroads. So I see some people that I've not seen in a while.
At these times as well, I take special care to circulate among people I know to be good for me, people that remind me who I am and what is good about me. I've gone into enough new situations to know how easily all that can wash away, faced with a torrent of newness, and there really are things about me that are good, and that I like. I take steps to be with people that can help me hold those things.
(Perhaps coincidentally, many of the latter are ladies with lovely eyes, which would tend to narrow at that last remark, wondering if I'm trying to be sly. This, I think, perhaps wrongly, is a thing about me that is good, and that I like.)
All of these reunions I am having, as of late, are woven from a thread that feels like this: we speak of commonalities we've had, review the things we did last time around.
"Have you heard what our old friend is doing lately?"
"Do you remember that one time...?"
"Wow, the last time we talked about THAT topic was..."
"Heh. Yeah, I remember - wasn't that great?"
We move away from saying what it is we're doing now, what the newest goals are looking like and why. Rarely do we speak about the things we're moving toward, although I sense that there are signs for all showing happy things in front of us.
When we spin the thread of conversation, it tends to get... past tense.
Perhaps it's just the season. The days we wake to now are such to spark desires for richly woven things. Things to guard against the coldness all around us, things to wrap around ourselves with warmth. Perhaps it's not a time to run and leap with friends toward horizons - it's a time to find familiar spots and spoon. It seems that we're all trying to unpack treasured blankets to share.
I wouldn't even notice, were it not so damned consistent. It really is the talk of everyone right now. To the point where I can't think it's everyone else anymore - the fate this thread is coming from, I'm forced to conclude, is mine.
I'm trying to decide if I'm weak for wanting it, or strong for having it. But - I'm not trying very hard.
At the moment, it's enough to just be warm. Thanks, folks.
Friday, December 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
threads....:-)
Post a Comment