Monday, June 25, 2007

Here's my just-walked-into-my-house story of the day.

I had, surprisingly, just walked into my house when my bride spoke sharply of the day's events. "Your son learned a new word today at camp."

OK, she's referring to him as "your son", so this ain't good... I glance at the boy playing over on the other side of the room. He doesn't appear to be paying attention, but of course I'm sure he is.

So I simply mouth to her my first guess at the word: "Fuck?"

I got back that tight-lipped, curt nod that both confirms and disapproves. She was steamed.

"With a Y-O-U on the end, too."

Now, I don't want my lad to be talking that way casually. I was completely on her side. However, it was very difficult for me to be properly sympathetic and outraged at that moment.

I managed to portray it adequately, I think. Fortunate I am, that she hasn't really looked directly at me in a decade or so - I get away with the most amazing things... The conversation, such as it was, was able to proceed without any giggles on my part, or anything else that might excite further profanity.

But seriously, how does that make sense?

What sort of mommy circuitry could possibly exist that made her spell out Y-O-U?

No comments: